The Ghazal maestro & The Legend of Himachal Folk Music
Famous personality and “The Legend of Himachal Folk Music Piyush Raj ” belongs to Chamba, Himachal Pradesh.
Now a well established name of the Capital “Delhi” in Ghazals, Bhajans and Folk Music.
Since his early youth, He has been immensely popular among the people by participating in Youth Festivals and Music Concerts.
He chose to be a Ghazal singer and followed his idol Ustad Mehdi Hassan Khan Saheb.
Also, He mastered other genres of Music.
Piyush Raj was the first person from Himachal Pradesh to promote the Himachal Folk Music Commercially in 1983 with the cassette named “RITU RANG” and he was recognized by the masses.
Piyush Raj wanted to follow the tradition of Guru-Shishya parampara in Classical vocal music which inspired him to leave his home town and migrate to Delhi in search of an ultimate Guru.
At Delhi, he was fortunate enough to find his ultimate Guru in the form of “SHRI LAXMAN KRISHNA RAO PANDIT” ji, a great exponent of Gwalior Gharana.
Award and Achievement
- Piyush Raj awarded National scholarship by the Ministry of Culture and he submitted a comprehensive research-paper on Himachal Folk’s music and Culture.
- Piyush Raj selected by ICCR ( Indian Centre for Cultural Resources) in its panel of performing artists (Ghazal & Folk music).
- Piyush Raj notable GHAZAL SHOW was held in Kamani Auditorium inaugurated by the President of India Late “SHRI GYANI ZAIL SINGH” ji himself.
- His latest albums “Banjara-1 & Banjara-2” made him more popular among the music lovers.
- Recently he made a debut as a “PLAYBACK SINGER” by singing a sensational Ghazal in a Rajasthani Culture– based Hindi feature film “ Choorha ek pratha” which is going to be released shortly.
- He has also sung in another Hindi feature film “A Thinnest line” which is about to be released soon.